|Posted by douggoodman on April 1, 2010 at 7:40 PM|
My birthday was a few days ago. There was cake, great food, some cool gifts from the family, and an umbilical cord. Yes, you read that correctly. This is life as a human remains dog handler, folks. Other people maybe get a little wine or a gag gift for their birthday. I get...well, a gag gift, but not the kind most people get. Of course, I was happy to have it. Very happy, in fact. To be clear, it wasn't a complete umbilical cord. This is just the nub (medical term) of the cord that falls off the baby a few weeks after birth.
This is my third umbilical cord. I use my son's, a friend's church member's, and the doctor friend of that church member's. (In the later cases, we are talking about the children of these people and not the cords of the adults.) My son's cord is great. The second cord I got was nice, too, but it is strongly flavored with iodine, so I am letting that one "breathe" for a while. The third one had less iodine than the others. For some reason, it looks like a burned up balloon twisty. To note for all you umbilical cord aficionados, a baby's nub looks like a balloon twisty fell off the kid. It's not what you would expect, but neither is an umbilical cord on your birthday. And I like the unexpected.